Rok Lutosławskiego 2004
The most important initiatives of the Witold Lutosławski Society have been the following:
- February 6, 2004: the embedding of a memorial plaque (designed by Society member Zbigniew Wilma) in the brickwork of Witold Lutosławski’s villa at Śmiała Street in Warsaw
- Participation in the Witold Lutosławski Forum 2004: March 12, an evening which took place at the National Philharmonic. In the first part of the event Julia Hartwig and Ryszard Kapuściński talked about the person of the society’s patron, while in the second part Ewa Podleś and Ewa Pobłocka performed his Five Songs.
- April 24, 2004: 2nd Performance Competition of Witold Lutosławski’s Compositions for the children and youth of Polish music schools: primary, post-primary, and those of the 1st and 2nd level.
- A competition of knowledge about Witold Lutosławski for the students of Polish primary, junior high, and high schools (not only music schools).
- International composition competition: Lutosławski Award 2004.
- November 29, 2004: International Meeting titled “Witold Lutosławski – A National Composer?”, held at the Royal Castle in Warsaw.
- February 11, 2005: special concert “Hommage a Lutosławski”, directed by Jerzy Semkow and presented at the Concert Hall of the National Philharmonic. The concert officially closed the celebrations of The Year of Lutosławski. Sinfonia Varsovia performed with the soloist Urszula Kryger. The program of the concert included works by Witold Lutosławski: Postlude no. 2, Five Songs, and Funeral Music in the first half of the evening, and Ludvig van Beethoven’s “Eroica” Symphony op. 55, no. 3, in the second half.